Saturday, April 10, 2010

Coworkers

Donate to Cancare:

https://www4980.ssldomain.com/cancare/make-donation.asp



In a few days I will send an email to my coworkers explaining my intentions to ride a bike across the United States. I have been reluctant to make this announcement, in fact, I have told few people about my intentions. I have been reluctant partially because it is surprisingly easy to write in a blog about such a trip. There is no possibility for ridicule and the vulnerability from potential failure is lessoned as there is no interaction with others. The blog has, in affect, offered a haven.

If I opted to remain in this "secure" haven, I would make my close friends and family aware of the trip, and then roll down the road. If I kept the trip to myself, however, there would not be funds raised for www.cancare.org. In addition, I would suppress an opportunity to express gratitude for a return to health and a life of hope. In fact, in many ways, not making an announcement is an indicator of a lack of full commitment. Part of pursuing any significant goal, I am learning, is directly confronting potential failure. It is through this confrontation that a strength and resolve is derived. A strength which is acquired only through a public announcement that I will be riding my bike across the United States.

If you are so inclined to donate to Cancare, please do so at the link above. All money will go directly to Cancare and a receipt will be mailed to you. No money goes to my trip as I don't think it is right that others work so I can ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment