Monday, March 8, 2010

The Beginning

I have wanted to turn the pedals of a bike across the United States for some time. My journey through cancer is intertwined with this effort. This is how it began:
The Trans American trail is a back road bike route extending 4200 miles from Astoria, Oregon to Virginia. While not teaching over the summer, I worked at Bike Barn, a local bike shop, and became familiar with the route. But, like any trip involving two months, real life often speaks a little louder and the trip becomes secondary to other responsibilities. At that time, this was the case.
After the diagnosis and treatment of cancer, I discovered a need to confront life with a deeper resolve and a heightened sense of urgency. As my cycling fitness increased, I began to seriously entertain the idea of a trip that would serve as a representation of these qualities.
After discussing the trip as a fundraising effort with the CanCare staff, I began to see the opportunity to do something good. With this incentive, I researched the trip and discovered a doctor in Virginia, by the name of Doug Garner, who was riding in honor of a friend who passed away from cancer. We combined efforts, and now have a total of 5 people making the journey. With the theme of cancer awareness in mind, we will take our shared belief across the country.
For those interested in following our journey, you can do so at http://ridingthroughlife-alex.blogspot.com. It is a cancer focused site that chronicles an emotional and physical journey back to a life as a survivor. If anyone feels compelled to tell their story, or to offer something learned, I welcome the exchange on the blog.
For those interested in contributing, there is a paypal account soon available. All money will go directly to http://www.cancare.org/. No funds will go to my efforts.
Finally, I want to bring awareness to the staff and volunteers at CanCare who wake daily and seek to comfort those going through the physical and emotional turmoil of a nasty disease. I have found that there is a collective reverence and appreciation for life among cancer survivors. This trip is my way of reestablishing hope and purpose and fully embracing life as a survivor.

2 comments:

  1. Alex, I'm so glad to have had the chance to meet you! I can't wait to follow you on this journey! Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,

    Very exciting; I will follow along.

    David

    ReplyDelete