Thursday, March 11, 2010

There is Value in the Slow Lane

Initially, when asked why I wanted to ride across the United States, I would just start talking and hope something smart came out. In reality, I was speaking without having yet established true value.

I have learned that in the process of seeking what is of value, a person must first establish what, to them, is of no value. This process has remained true in my riding life. Despite much effort, I cannot ride a bike fast. I have literally been in the middle of a race and wondered why I am not going faster. With every corner or climb, I would transfer every ounce of my being into those pedals, and the only return was a pulsating desire for what would never be. So I quit! I changed lanes, and discovered value from the slow side of the road.


Although I express appreciation for those with the ability to ride fast, I no longer have envy. There is a cost to the pursuit of a podium and it is in this pursuit that value is often compromised. Looking up at a finish and down at a time is nothing more than an indication of an end. It is with this awareness that I value riding in the slow lane and observing that which is yet to be discovered. It is the shifting of gears, the effort of the climb, and cresting to the morning sun. It is the effort free speed of descending while riding toward an afternoon with wandering thoughts. In short, it is riding while knowing I am not rapidly finishing, but having awareness that the moment is continually there.


So when people ask me why I'm riding a bike this distance, my response might still be too long. The partial reply, however, is that I find value in watching moments unfold as I slowly pedal along.

No comments:

Post a Comment