Saturday, March 20, 2010

Thanks Bike Barn

Some time ago, after brainstorming fundraising ideas with the CanCare staff, http://www.cancare.org/, I went home and made a list of people I wanted to contact. The challenge was two fold, in that I needed to admit to others that I was riding my bike across the country and I had to overcome a dislike for asking for donations, support....etc. My appreciation for CanCare outweighed these notions, so I decided to step up to the plate, and asked for help.

The first on my list was Neil Bremner, the owner of Bike Barn, http://www.bikebarn.com/. Although we had not spoken recently, I had known him from years past. My pitch was simple. I said, "You were aware I had cancer. There is a nonprofit organization called CanCare that emotionally assists people with this disease. I'm riding 4200 miles across the U.S. to raise money for this organization. I need a bike to withstand the miles and the abuse. I don't have access to a large media audience to say 'go shop at Bike Barn', but I would really appreciate your help." Before I even had the word "help" out of my mouth, he said, "I will be happy to assist you any way I can." How cool is that! The bike was not free, but the assistance was significant. I went to Mark Chamber's Bike Barn store on Westheimer and pieced together a bike, from scratch, with Billy and crew. Their experience with everything from gear ratio to bike set up has been incredible.

I'm still amazed at the generosity! The encouragement I have received for this ride has been beyond my imagination. Thank you Bike Barn! You guys rock!

1 comment: