Monday, March 15, 2010

My Experience

With any new endeavor, there are unforeseen challenges. Initially, I thought it would be easy to sit and write about areas of interest and occasionally tie it to the theme of being a cancer survivor. The very nature of the cancer experience, however, is personal, which lends itself to conflict as I drudge up the experience while simultaneously wanting it to go away. While writing my way through the experience, I hope to embrace the fact that cancer is not just a part of my life, but a part of who I am.



September 25, 2008 marked the date in which I was forced to make room for this new reality. I noticed a bump on my side burn, yet it remained small and unnoticed to others. I felt healthy and fit, but after three weeks, and a gradual increase in size, I intuitively new something was wrong. As a result, I went to the doctor. A biopsy was performed, cancer was revealed, and within two weeks I went from experiencing the freedom of my bike to lying on a surgery table within the confines of MDA.



The diagnosis was Merkel Cell carcinoma. It is a rare form of skin cancer with only 1500 cases diagnosed nationwide per year. It is exceptionally aggressive. Left undetected, it attaches to nerves, and then grows at an alarming rate. The Parotid Gland is a salivary duct on the side burn in front of the ear. With surgery, mine was removed. After a brief healing period, chemo and radiation followed. If caught early, the rate of return for this type of cancer reduces significantly one year following treatment. Fortunately, mine was caught early.



After follow up testing, I received word that I currently show no signs of cancer. After celebrating with family, I hopped on my bike and rode with an emotional freedom only known before September 25th. I now will move forward hoping to do the best I can with the blessing of a new perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment